Foodie Blogroll

Friday, June 24, 2011

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake ~ Taste and Create



This is my first time joining in the fun of Taste & Create where we are paired off with another blog and we make something from each other's blog and post about it! My partner in Taste & Create this month was Bizzy B Bakes, when I checked out her blog she has many different and wonderful things going on there. I wanted to bake something and as you all know about my baking skills, but I wanted to try it. Besides Bizzy B started this blog to increase her baking...I thought it only right. I let my daughter help me choose since she was the one that was going to eat most of it! :D

She wanted to make the lemon poppy seed muffins...okay good choice, but since Bizzy B mostly makes gluten free recipes which this was, which is great, but I didn't have the gluten free flour it called for...so we went for something chocolate! Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake ...

Got all my stuff and ingredients ready to go...

Here is Bizzy B Bakes version of the recipe...

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake (adapted from All Recipes)
Ingredients :
1 cup canola oil minus one tablespoon
1 (8 ounce) package Tofutti cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Rice milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Method:


In a mixing bowl, cream the oil, cream cheese and 1-1/4 cups of sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. Pour into a greased 9-in. spring form pan. Combine cinnamon, 1 cup chocolate chips and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely before cutting







I like how this recipe didn't have any dairy in it, but I didn't have any rice milk so I use coconut milk that I had. I also used some coconut oil and a little less sugar than it called for and I couldn't fit all the chocolate chips on it...so I had about a quarter cup left.






My daughter chose the color sugar to sprinkle on top...and here I used raw organic sugar in the cake. :) Oops where is the cinnamon...I sprinkled it all over the top before it went in the oven.





The other difference was I didn't have a spring form pan so I made it in an 11 inch stoneware baker that I did have. I was worried about it...






...but it turned out great! I did have to cut back on the baking time, and the toothpick did come out clean.





It was moist and delicious and I loved the texture...I was so surprised! Yay! Still a little sweet for me, but my family loved it. There is still a piece left... anyone?

I bet you can't wait to see what else I might bake up!







24 comments:

  1. Hey Lyndz, finally a cake from you! It's a small one...perfect for your family. Send over the rest if you can't finish them. haha... I'll help! :o) Thanks for sharing & have a great weekend.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one awesome-looking coffee cake. How did you now I'd been dreaming of coffee cake lately? Now if only I could reach in and take a slice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyndsey, yummy chocolate cake, I love, Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! This is very similar to The Secret Recipe Club too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Coffee cake looks so moist and scrumptious!i hope your daughter enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! What do you mean? Didn't you see my opera cake? ;D heheh...it was huge! JK I knew you'd like it Kristy, and I noticed your the first one to comment! :D It was still a little big for my family...I'll have to send it out, get ready!

    girlichef...help yourself! I did learn one thing...don't use blue sugar on chocolate cakes.

    Gloria...thanks, I've seen so many wonderful baked goods from you!

    Peggy...Yes, and I just noticed The Secret Recipe Club after I signed up for this. I wonder what she is going to make from my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!! Now that would be good right about now.

    *I work for Bass Pecan Company and every year they have a recipe contest where you can win $1000. You should check it out!! If you like baking with pecans this is perfect for you Bass Recipe Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very lovely cake. I love how you placed chocolate chip on top...really makes me drool..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I like this! like cheesecake with lots of chocolate cheaps...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, looks superb, inviting and so moist :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. fun cake looks like a big cookie he he

    have a great weekend

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW Lyndsey; this one is a keeper; great photos and I am sure it must taste fantastic.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks incredibly good! I'll definitely snag that last piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of chocolate chips!! A perfect coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Still got a piece left? Can I have it please? I hope I don't have to share 'cause it looks so good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This must be one of the funnest cake ever. It has all the ingredients that I love. Cinnamon, check. Chocolate chip, check. Coffee, double check!

    ReplyDelete
  17. first time here and I am flipping for that cake hugely! Lovely!! bookmarking to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so chocolaty...! Just my taste :D)!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jesse...thanks

    Ann...thanks, I know I need to work on my baking.

    Jeannie...and I didn't even use all the choc chips that it called for.

    Priya...I was happy that it turned out so moist.

    Rebecca...it does look like a big cookie, I better work on that.

    Rita...thanks, that is nice of you to say.

    Reeni...sure, help yourself!

    Anggie...I know, lots of chocolate, and I still left some off.

    Sheila...There is plenty to go around, thanks for stopping by.

    Jun...actually coffee sounds good in it, I'll add it next time. I think they call it a coffee cake because it goes so well with a good cup of coffee.

    Now Serving...nice to meet you, I slice you a piece and pour yourself a cup of coffee!

    CG...the chocolate does taste good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a yummy, and light coffee cake with all the chocolate chips. Love the way it turned out, and looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am glad you liked. It came out beautifully. Why don't you link it up to Bake with Bizzy. Seems appropriate.

    I should have yours listed tomorrow. School just ended and I have been behind in everything. I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness...looks wonderful! I never think about the combination of chocolate and cinnamon, but it looks like it totally works.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would have expected the chocolate chips to melt but they did not!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my gosh..this looks sooooo good..! Thank you my dear..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please share your ideas, tips, stories or any questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by...