Foodie Blogroll

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Greek Orzo Pasta ~ Tailgating Time!

It's week #4 for our Tailgating Time! Come on and join the fun! We have lots of recipes and ideas for all you football fans! Even if we can't tailgate at the stadium we'll have fun right here, join us! Bring over your party dish, special chili or wings, salads, dips or pitcher filled with a punch!
I originally got the idea for this from a pasta salad I got from a deli area in a local health food store. All I had was a list of ingredients, but I liked it because it had lemon juice instead of vinegar. It was a really nice pasta salad so I added a few other ingredients and tweaked it a bit the way I liked it. I do make a similar salad using Quinoa I sometimes add tomatoes to that. So feel free to do the same thing add what you like.
It's nice for a light lunch or a side dish. The seasonings as always are adjustable to your liking, sometimes I will add a few more depending on my mood, but it is easy enough to work with.

Greek Orzo Pasta Salad

1 C orzo (uncooked) cooked per package directions
1/4 C Greek Olive Oil (you don't have to use Greek olive oil, but you should try it. it's great).
2 T lemon juice (I didn't have a lemon on hand so I used limes, lemons better)
1 1/2 tsp marjoram (you can use oregano, but I have a lb of organic marjoram so I use it)
1/2 tsp mint (optional)
1 clove garlic minced (or granulated garlic)
1/2 cup spinach leaves chiffonade (cut in thin strips)
1 2.25oz can sliced black olives (or 2oz Greek olives, sliced)
4 oz Feta Cheese
sea salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste)


Set cooked orzo aside and let it cool some. In another bowl whisk olive oil, lemon juice and herbs. Toss with remaining ingredients, end with salt and pepper. Let cool in refrigerator for about 2 hours.
Quick, easy and tasty!

Tailgating Time will be posted every Sunday at noon and open all week until noon the following Saturday for you to add your football favorites. We'll play each and every week until Superbowl Sunday.
Can't wait to see what you bring!

Tailgating Time is brought to you by:
Martha at ~ Seaside Simplicity
Tamy at ~ 3 Sides of Crazy
Me here at ~ The Tiny Skillet


23 comments:

  1. Hey Lyndsey, I'm making something similar to this tonight. I'm not sure I even knew there was Greek olive oil, lol. I never knew how much I didn't know until I started blogging! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy Lyndsey! I love this recipe and will definitely be making it for the football buffet soon with plenty leftover for lunches!

    Enjoy game day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, this orzo dish looks wonderful. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby is going to love you for this recipe! He loves Greek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't tailgate, but I do sit around on my comfy couch, watching football!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds terrific - I love orzo

    ReplyDelete
  7. elles sont toutes magnifiques
    bonne soirée

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my husband would love almost all of these!!!!!! Lord give me grace to tailgate...soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Greek dishes! Orzo is the best!

    beholdthemetatron.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love greek salad! I know I'll love it with Orzo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every dish featured here looks delicious and simple to put together:) I don't think I can get orzo here, such a pity! I would love to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is something I will have to try...Think I might add some sun dried tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooooh I LOVE pasta, and that one looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all look pretty tasty Lyndsey !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lyndsey, what a great salad! I love the combo of ingredients you have in it. A friend of mine made her dish similar to yours, except that she added grilled chicken breast to it. Yours sounds the best to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love orzo, mostly in soups...what a great idea to make a salad with it!! Especially with feta!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have yet to use orzo! Seriously! This salad looks wonderful though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love orzo! This sounds like a wonderful, healthy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brenda - Thanks I was reading about Greek Olive oil and how they process it differently. I was searching for it and found it at this little market where I gas up my car, they also sell fresh feta that she makes as well as gyros, hummus and Greek salads! It's great

    Mrtha -thanks
    Betty Ray -thank you
    Tamy -thanks
    Pam -that'll work!
    marthaandme - thank you
    Fimère -thank you
    Kitchen Butterfly - oh you must!
    Kris - yes it is! Love it!
    peachkins - I am sure you would love it!
    Jeannie - any small pasta would work
    Bo -sun dried tomatoes would be great
    kothiyavunu.com -thanks
    Chow and Chatter - yes, love feta too!
    Jennifurla - thanks you it is tasty
    elra - it's fun seeing all the different dishes
    Pam -thanks so mush that is really nice of you to say.
    Chef Dennis - I enjoy it in salads, I have been looking for the tri-color orzo, but no luck.
    Debbi - now you gotta try it! Seriously :D
    Emily Z - you can make it as healthy as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great simple dish Lyndsey! Also the great selections of dishes there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh, I almost forgot about this! Oh yes, I'm entering right now. Please wait for me!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please share your ideas, tips, stories or any questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by...