Foodie Blogroll

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Herbed Flatbread - Martha Mondays

Today's Martha Mondays event was chosen by Sarah of Sassy Suppers and she is a great baker. She also participates in The Daring Bakers, so go check out her blog. The recipe that she selected for us to make is Herbed Flatbread from p. 172 of June Living magazine.

It was a straight forward recipe and easy to follow. I, however am not what you call a baker. I again got a chance to see Pru's finished project and Brette's, and they both were successful. One made the full recipe and froze the remainder, the other halved (like I often do) the recipe. So I knew the recipe was good and worked well. So I thought I would try something different. I made the dough in my bread machine. I first put in the wet ingredients, then the dry with the yeast in a little nest on top. I also added a little dry herbs right in the dough. It was a good way to do it because I was busy making dinner too.

It turned out good. I didn't have to use any parchment paper because I always used my
large bar pan and nothing sticks to it. When it calls for you to grease the pan I never have to do that either. Between this, the medium bar pan, and other stoneware I bet I use one of these everyday. I wouldn't want to be without it!

My family liked it okay, they are more like a crackers with a crisp crust, but they like my Olga's Flatbread better. (it's a different bread, it's soft) I used herbs on some, parmesan cheese and course salt on others, and made one with Italian seasoning and garlic for my daughter.




If anyone wants to join us for Martha Mondays check out Brette's Martha and Me blog that tells all about it. You can find what others are also busy on Mondays!

23 comments:

  1. Lyndsey, I love the idea of sprinkling parmesan cheese on top of these. I'll try that next time. And I'd also love your recipe for the white bean and garlic dip if you don't mind. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy!!! perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I've never tried making flat bread and must do it one of these days. It looks like you did a fine job of baking it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda, I found if you sprinkle the parmesan on too early it gets a little too brown. I'll try doing it half way when you turn them next time.

    Thanks Sarah!

    Pam, It is pretty easy to do, the only bad part is you have to bake them in batches

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great but think I will try Olga's flat bread if you say it is better. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane they were good, especially warm right out of the oven. It's just that they were crisp. The Olga's Bread is made on the dough setting of the bread machine too. You make them in a dry skillet and they are soft and slightly sweet, and great with curries and hummus, and such. On the other blogs they all really liked the herbed flatbread. I think it's just personal preference. Let me know if you make the Olga's Bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am gonna try this one....just fabulous recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful bake! You don't make bread often, don't you! Guess, this holiday going to be a fabulous baking season holiday! Enjoy & have lots of fun!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good. Using the bread machine was a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often think about getting a bread maker, although I worry about how much bread I would then be eating! I preferred them thinner, but will be making these again - with the addition of cheese. Thanks Lyndsey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fresh bread! That looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job with your flatbread. This looks like something I would enjoy trying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I seldom bake flat bread too, the only one that I had baked is foccacia. This looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the cracker effect. I guess you can keep this one on the books for when you need crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow this bread looks so good thanks for all your comments love ya Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious! I should fire up the oven too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can smell the herbs in this wonderful flatbread! With the addition of parmesan cheese, I bet this flatbread is even more wonderful for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks delicious. I've been wanting one of those bar pans.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your flatbread with extra herbs in it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jay, that's good I hope you enjoy it.

    Kristy, no I'm not good at making bread. I should show you the failed dough from when I tried to make your cinnamon rolls recipe!

    marthaansme, thanks, it worked fine in the machine.

    Pru, but think of the good quality of bread you'll be eating! This recipe was easy to play with.

    Erica, thanks!

    Mags, you should try it.

    Jeannie, thank you, foccacia sounds good!

    Devon, yes good idea.

    Rebecca, thank you, and thanks for all your nice comments too.

    3Hungry Tummies, yes you should, I'm sure it would turn out fantastic for you!

    petite, thanks, I love using fresh herbs. Parmesan is always a good addition.

    Barbara, I could go on and on about my bar pans. I use them instead of cookie sheets too. I could never keep my cookie sheets looking good in this humidity we have here. I've used them to make Buffalo wings, roast veggies all the time. I've made a big sheet cake to decorate for my daughter's birthday long time ago. They are warrantied too. I broke the med size one and you just send a piece of it back and you get a new one. Hummm maybe I should work for Pampered Chef?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Ann! I think it worked well with the dried herbs in the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks delicious! I love how versatile flatbreads are!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lyndsey, thanks for the compliment. Trust me. I have plenty of disasters in my kitchen too. Your flatbreads look great! Thanks for including the recipe for Olga's bread. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, please share your ideas, tips, stories or any questions or comments. Thanks for stopping by...